As you work with individuals and add relationships, you may need to make changes over time. To help with that, there are a few things you can do to manage relationships. When you add a relationship and choose to enter text, you can save them as an individual record so that they are included in the list of individuals. Additionally, you can add standard relationships or merge a relationship into another type.
IN THIS ARTICLE
Save as Individual Record
When you add a relationship, there is the option to enter text to track basic individual info instead of using an individual record in your account. This is helpful when you want to document a relationship, but don’t need a listing of that individual in your account. At some point, you may want to update this person to be a record in your account.
To save basic individual info as an individual record:
- Choose an individual and select the relationships tab.
- Select the related individual.
- From either the individual summary or the relationships tab.
- Select Save as Individual Record.
- You're all set.
- The basic individual info will now be a record in your account. If you had any notes about the individual, they will be transferred to the Notes/Attachments area for that record.
Adding Standard Relationships
You can add a list of standard relationships to use in your account. Users with Manage Data permissions can update relationships in the Data & Custom Fields settings area. Relationships are split into 4 categories. Additionally feel free to use these categories to group your own relationships as well.
- Personal - such as spouse, significant other, domestic partner, etc.
- Family - such as parent, child, sibling, relative.
- Legal - such as power of attorney, trustee, legal guardian.
- Other - by default, any relationships previously created.
To add standard relationships:
- From Profile & Settings, select Settings. Then, select Data & Custom Fields.
- From the drop down, select Relationships.
- Select Add Standard Relationships.
- You're set.
- The standard relationships will be added to your account. If you ever remove any standard relationships, repeat the steps above and they'll be added back.
To merge relationships, users need Manage Data, & Manage Custom fields permissions.
To help manage relationships, you can merge all records of one relationship type into another. Please note, once you make the change, it cannot be undone. This is helpful when you are using gendered relationships(Husband/Wife or Son/Daughter) and want to update them to use more generic relationships(Spouse/Child). As merges cannot be undone, as a precaution, you can run a report of your individual relationships as a backup.
For example, if you are using relationships of Husband/Wife but want to change both to spouse. Then, you can merge both husband and wife into spouse.
- From Profile & Settings, select Settings and then Data & Custom fields.
- From the drop down, select Relationship.
- Select Merge Relationships.
- Select a relationship and merge into option.
- Relationship: The relationship that is merged into the other relationship and then is deleted.
Merge Into: The relationship you want to merge into and that is kept.
- Save and you’re done.
- After the merge, relationships on individuals will be updated to reflect new relationship.
Can I undo merging a relationship?
Merges cannot be undone. So before you merge, make sure you do a quick review to double check everything.