The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) mandates that life and health insurance brokers obtain a “consent to contact” before assisting with Marketplace plans. In essence, brokers must have permission from individuals, employers, or employees before helping with tasks like searching for applications, aiding in coverage application, enrolling in qualified health plans, or updating coverage details.
There are many ways to collect consent. This article will show you how to simplify and manage the process in AMS+ using our ACA Consent Forms.
IN THIS ARTICLE
How to enable and configure consent forms
1) Activate consent forms at the account-level
If you belong to a Security Group with the ‘Manage User’ permission:
- Go to Settings.
- Find the Sales > Email, Columns, Calendar & Other Optional Features setting, and select the 'Edit' button.
- Scroll down until you see the ‘ACA Consent’ section and make sure the 'Enable Electronic ACA Consent Forms’ checkbox is checked.
- By default, the Consent Form Signature Method will be “Typed In” but you can change it to “Signature pad”.
- Assign an English Email Template and/or a Spanish Email Template.
- When generating an ACA Consent Form, AMS+ will send this email template to the lead. If you don’t have any, refer to this article to learn how to create email templates. Make sure the email templates contain the snippet #ACA_CONSENT_LINK# for the user to click on!
- (Optional) Enter an English Success URL and/or Spanish Success URL.
- The lead will be directed to this URL upon submitting their completed ACA Consent Form.
- When ready, select the “Submit Settings” button to save your changes.
- Now you’ve activated and enabled the ability for Agents to send consent forms to leads.
2) Add consent form contact info and signature at the user-level
If ACA Consent Forms are enabled, you will need to add your sales rep contact details and signature to your user account. This information is necessary for generating consent forms.
To add your sales rep contact details and signature:
- Go to My Account > Sales.
- Navigate to the ‘SOA / ACA Consent’ tab and add your phone number and NPN number to the SOA Contact Info section.
- Scroll down and upload your signature or sign with the signature pad.
- Add your Sales Rep ID.
How to generate ACA Consent Forms
If ACA Consent Forms have been enabled and configured, you’re ready to start generating forms for leads.
To generate a form:
- Go to a Sales Record and select the ‘Generate ACA Consent’ button.
- Choose the default language: English or Spanish.
- This selection determines which email template AMS+ will send to the lead (English or Spanish).
- Pick and choose a user in the ‘Agent’ field dropdown.
- Pick a date in the ‘Date Appointment will be Completed’ field.
- Review your rep, agency, and record information and submit when ready.
- The rep information is pulled from the user you selected in the ‘Agent’ field dropdown. Forms can only be generated if the selected user has a phone number and NPN number. If this information is missing, reach out and have that person add it in their My Account > Sales > SOA / ACA Consent settings.
How to track consent form status
After sending out a consent form, you’ll want to know as soon as it's signed and completed so you can move ahead with your business processes. You can monitor the consent form’s completion status on the Sales Record’s Files tab.
What information is needed for consent?
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) does not prescribe a standard format or process for obtaining consent or for maintaining this record, so you have the flexibility to determine how you will meet the consent requirement.
As a general rule, however, the record of the consent should include the following information:
- The individual’s, employer’s, or employee’s name
- The date the consent was given
- The name of the agent(s) or broker(s) to whom consent was given
How long do I need to store consent information?
A record of consent does not expire except at the request of the individual, employer, or employee. However, obtained records must be securely stored and accessible for a minimum of ten (10) years.