An IVR (Interactive Voice Response) is a virtual receptionist that directs callers to the right person or group of people in your agency. When turned on, IVR will offer callers a menu of choices, which they can respond to with voice commands or touch-tone keypad inputs.
Please note, you don't need ring groups for IVRs but you should set up your ring groups before creating an IVR for ease of setup. Refer to this article if you want to learn how to create and set up a ring group.
IN THIS ARTICLE
How to create an IVR
- Go to Settings.
- Find the Sales > Phone Dialer & Call Queues setting and select the 'Edit' button.
- Navigate to the IVRs tab and, in the CREATE IVR MENU section, name the new IVR and assign a voicemail recording.
You may want to create a voicemail recording specifically for IVRs. For example, "Thanks for calling Best Insurance Ever, Chicago, Illinois! For Steve, press 1. For Buster, press 2. For Missy, press 3. For all available agents, press 4." Refer to this article if you want to learn how to create voicemail recordings.
- When ready, add the IVR menu and it will show up in the list.
- Find and edit the IVR menu.
- Go to the Extensions section in the editing window and add extension numbers for your users and ring groups.
After adding extensions, your IVR menu will look something like this:
How to assign an IVR to a phone number
After creating an IVR, you will need to assign it to a phone number in order to use it.
- Go to the Phone Dialer & Call Queues setting and navigate to the Phone Numbers section.
- Find the number you want to assign the IVR to and select the “...” button next to it. Choose the ‘EDIT’ option in the dropdown menu to open a separate modal.
- In the modal, find the Welcome Message field and choose your new IVR menu in the dropdown menu.
- When ready, select the ‘SAVE INFORMATION’ button.
- Now all calls to this number will be routed through your IVR.